Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonestein

Technical User
May 13, 2003
US
I was wondering if anyone has seen this before. I was trying to add a new printer, and I get the following message when I double click the Add Printer Icon:

"Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable"

I have ran every scan I can think of to check for spyware and viruses, all come back clean. So, any ideas?

Try this
go into control panel - administrative tools -- then double click services
find the print spooler service and right click it and click start if it is stopped. i think the spooler is the subsystem it is talking about. if it is disabled you can go into the properties and set it to autostart and it will turn it on everytime

JT

The print spooler service is the right answer to my question. It points to a file at /winnt/system32/spoolsv.exe

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I still have a problem with the machine. The Print Spooler Service doesn't exist on the computer that I am having the problem with. So that is my problem.

So I go to /winnt/system32/spoolsv.exe and doubleclick. I don't know if that is how you are supposed to start a service or not. but it didn't work. So, what is the proper way to start a service?

It sounds to me that the "spoolsv.ex" file doesn't exist on the PC in question, is that correct? If so, I recommend running this command from the command line:

sfc /sfc /scannow

This will probably prompt you for the original installation disc. This has known to fix similar problems.
Hope this helps! Let us know your results!

X

The spoolsv.exe file does exist on the computer that is not working. The Service "Print Spooler Service" is what is missing.

I did try the sfc /scannow and it didn't find any problems or fix this problem. If I can't get the Service to run I will probably have to re-install windows, cause I can't install any printers.

again, thanks for your help

tried that also... no luck. After Step 13 it says to do what I can't do. It says to right click Print Spooler Service, and then click start.

Well. I don't have the Print Spooler Service. It does not exist. it is not there. I can't right click it. it is not running. I do not have the ability to click on Print Spooler Service. I can't get it to run by clicking the spoolsv.exe. did I mention that Print Spooler Service is not there?

thanks for your help. I guess the only solution is to re-install windows.

I solved same problem by repairing/upgrading operating system

I tried a repair install of windows and that didn't work, so a reinstall is my only option to this point.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back