Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chikn

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
US
We use an accouting package for a remote site called RealWorld. This software prints correctly to anything thats a tty printer connected to a digi. Any jet direct printers it does not. You have to completely ignore anything the software telles you while printing to one. It wont actually print until you say yes to the was the print OK message, also fonts on reports arent correct either and when trying to do a alignment check for checks it advances after the test so it actually throws the alighnment off again.

Is there anyway to fool this program or possibly some lp commands to use?

Chikn, there is quite a bit of difference in printing to a line or dot-matrix printer and printing to a laser printer. While you may already know that, I think the first order of business is to figure out if RealWorld is capable of generating the printer setup character strings needed by the laser. I know that Real World has been around for a long time. You did not mention how old the version you are using was.

There are ways to make it happen if Real World cannot do it directly.

gafling

Its till printing to the same line printer as before its just now on a jetdirect and parellel vs the digi serial which is what is causing all my problems. The program just acts completely different when printing to a jetdirect printers than serial printers. Realworld has stopped supporting this software long ago so I would imagine the version is pretty old

I used to work for a software house and we had similar problems, you need to look at the interface file that is in /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/model.orig directory and remove all page formatting commands. The easiest way to do this is to use the "dumb" interface script when you set the printer up and remove all the page throws etc.

The easiest way to test it is to do an &quot;echo Hello | lp -d<printer>&quot;, it should just print the word hello advance to the next line, not page, and stop. If you repeat the above command you should get the following output on the printer:

Hello
Hello
Hello
Hello

Hope this helps

- Paul

This is one of the printers thats an IP printer. This one is a netport express (acts the same as a jetdirect when being printed too)

What would need to be removed from it? And thanks for the help.

#!/bin/sh
# System V lp spooler interface file
(
NoOfCopies=$4
shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
FileList=&quot;$*&quot;
Count=1
while [ $Count -le $NoOfCopies ]
do
for File in $FileList
do
cat &quot;$File&quot; 2>&1