Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer form feeds an extra page after printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US
I have several printer that form feeds an extra page after printing. It drives me Crazy. I have looked at the interface script several times, but have not been able to fix me problem. <br><br>I am using an OKIDATA 321 microline printer interfaced through an intel pro print server.<br><br>I will include my interface script. As this is where I think the problem is. <br><br>#!/bin/sh<br># System V lp spooler interface file <br>(<br>NoOfCopies=$4<br>shift; shift; shift; shift; shift<br>FileList=&quot;$*&quot;<br>Count=1<br>while [ $Count -le $NoOfCopies ]<br>do<br> for File in $FileList<br> do<br> cat &quot;$File&quot; 2&gt;&1<br> echo &quot;\014\c&quot;<br> done<br> Count=`expr $Count + 1`<br>done<br><br><br> <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I would say that your applications are adding their own ending FF. Perhaps there is a default FF sent out when the printer channel is closed by the un-named application.<br><br>Try diverting output to a file and use vi to look for an ending ^L.<br>

The FF could also be set in the Intel PS box services. I use Lantronix LPS1 Pocket PS device on My SCO Printers and the default Text print service in these devices has an FF option checked from the factory. I had to create an optional Text print service with no FF to get them to work.<br>Check out the Intel documents.

the script ff is the echo \014\c line. For test only put a # in the front of the line. If your application is adding a ff to everything then this will take the second sheet away. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

When I remark out line echo \014\c I receive limited success. If I print from the command line it does not form feed an extra page after the print job. But When I print from my application it does. The only way I have found to stop the extra form feed is to change the printer emulation to epson, but this is not ideal beacuse now know of my other hex codes work. The character pitch then needs to be manually changed ?<br><br>I am not sure if it is my intel print server or my Application causing the form feed. <br><br>When I print to one of my serial printers of the same type I do not get the extra form feed sheet. This makes me think the problem is the print server ? I checked the Intel support site, but it had limited information.<br><br> <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Turn your printer off. Do a 30 line or so print job. File should remain in requests.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go look at it . if file is 30 lines then print server is suspect. if file is 66 oines then application is doing it.<br>Changing to epson shouldn't affect it . ff is ff. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

I redirected a print request to disk. I then manually sent the request to the printer using the lp command. The printer did form feed and extra sheet after the print request. This tells me my problem is with the print server?<br><br>Any ideas on how to supress the ff<br><br><br> <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Has now left my baliwick. Have never used the beasts. But there must be a manual somewhere. Good luck. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>

If memory serves correctly, Oki 321 printers have a &quot;send FF after each job&quot; setting.&nbsp;&nbsp;Disable this and you should be OK. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

Do you know what the syntax is for the form feed <p>-Danny<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back