Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2004
GB
When sending a doc to the printer,error message appears stating that the printer is not online

1.) reinstall driver...

2.) check cable... or replace with new one...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

I take it this problem just kind of started out of the blue and you haven't installed anything new recently? IE: Fax programs, scanners or anyting of that nature?

I'm sure you've checked to make sure that the cables are connected and the printer is on. I've got a couple more things to have you check.

If this is a local, connected via USB or parallel cable directly to the PC.

Go to your printer contol panel and right click the printer you are attempting to connect to. Make sure that "SET PRINTER AS DEFAULT" is checked and "USE PRITNER OFFLINE" is NOT checked. (not applicable for Windows XP)

Then, right click and go to
-Properties
-Ports (sometimes under an advanced tab)
Make sure that your printer is using a LPT1 or a USB port.

If that doesn't work, let me know. and include the Operating system, type of printer, and how you are trying to connect it to your computer. Short of a hardware problem, I'm sure we can get this working.

OH yeah. If this is a network printer, well... you just opened a whole other can. I'm not going to get into that now. If it is, just let me know.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back