Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpflanzer

Technical User
Mar 8, 2001
US
We are running Definity R8 with CMS R3V8. We do not have a printer set up on the Sun box. My primary workstation ( with a printer) is running Windows 98. I would like to find an emulation that would allow me to run and print from CMS. I am currently using CentreVu Supervisor Terminal Emulator which works great in porting the SLK buttons and f keys, but only prints through the Unix box. Other emulations that I've tried have print capability but do not (correctly) run CMS. If anyone can either point me to the correct emulation type or to a program that will do what I want, I would appreciate it.

TIA, Jerry

A few years ago I was called in to analyze what a Lucent customer thought was a potential CMS security problem. One of their call center personel people had a limited CMS login (no UNIX privileges). He needed to print out his reports on his local printer (or suck the cms information into Excel I can't remember). What he did is run the CMS report and save it to disk. This would save it to his UNIX home directory but he didn't have access to UNIX. HOWEVER he could use his PC and and FTP to the cms machine and login using his CMS login and password. FTP would put him in his unix directory so he could copy the file back to his pc so he could print it (again I can't remember if he cleaned it up before printing). This is one way of printing on a PC without Centre Vu Supervisor.
Another way is using an old version of Terranova (I usually used the 4410 terminal type) and doing a screen capture of the report and then printing it. Procom Plus will also work.
I know I have done it other ways but I have not worked intimatly with CMS in about 5 years and my memory is failing me.

I hope this helps.

Leo V. Brown

The easist way would be to use the lpadmin cmd and add a printer to the sun box. This can be any stand-alone IP based printer on your network. Your unix admin should be able to do this in less than 5 minutes.

steveave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back