Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer driver was not installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne228

MIS
Jul 11, 2001
CA
Regardless of the printer I am trying to install, W2K Pro gives the same error message at the end of Add Printer wizard, "Printer driver not installed. Operation could not be complete."

I am logged in as Administrator on the PC and the domain. I have tried different CD's (drivers), downloaded drivers, etc. Now, not only will it NOT install any network printers, it won't even install the local printer attached to the PC. Always the same message...

Any thoughts?

Download, install, and run any good registry cleaner. After you clean the registry, go in and manually look for registry entries for the printer you want to install. Delete anything you find. Reboot and then try re-installing the printer driver. Make sure your using the administrator account. Can you ping any network printer?

I had a similar problem yesterday. I was installing an HP LaserJet 4050n, that is on our network. I've never had the problem before. What I did was installed as a local printer, created a new port,TCPIP, using the printers IP address. I was then able to install the correct driver.

Yes, I can ping the network printers. Have already created new TCP/IP port - still same message. I will try cleaning up the registry...

I did get the network printer going eventually, but only by sharing through the server. I cannot connect directly using its IP address.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back