Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer dpi 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrydoughty

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
GB
I know that DPI means dots per inch. What I cannot understand is printers advertising 2400 x 1200 dpi or 5760 x 720. Why the two lots of dpi in each case?

Thanks in advance

Terry

horizontal and vertical

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Many thanks for the speedy reply. But how does one judge the best?
In the 2 printer specs above the first is worst horizontally but best vertically.

It is a tradeoff between resolution and speed. You need to look at something 2400 by 1200 and see what it looks like to you and whether you would be happy with it.
I have used 1200 by 720 and it seems fine to me. It isn't like a picture, but quite good.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Don't go on numbers alone, I remember when HP printers were always of lower DPI compared to there epson counterparts but because of layering technology picture quality was the same.
When buying these printers there is often a sample swatch of printing quality, these mean far more than any DPI figures.
Personally I believe you can't beat a good back to back review, where the magazine has had all the rivalling models at his disposal, this way you get a ballanced opinion not only on outright quality but on other things like print costs and true print speed (another specification often exaggerated) Printer manufactures are prone to downrite lying (sorry manipulating) in the numbers game so read plenty of reviews before commiting yourself to a product. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I can't imagine very many circumstances where 5760 dpi would be useful if you only had 720 the other way!
If you only need 720 anyway, then this printer might be okay but if you want good resolution you will probably want a more balnced combo. But defintely compare output with the same picture OF YOUR CHOOSING. The pictures that the printers offer as samples are chosen to avoid seeing that printers defects(IE there ARE photos that would look fantastic at 5760x720 but turn them 90 deg and would look very different!)
And find out how much the ink/toner costs and how many different models use it-will you be able to easily buy it in 4years?

I believe there are other things that determine the quality as well: Resolution Enhancement technology (found in laser printers also), quality of paper used, quality of ink, size and placement of the ink dots, to name just a few.
A 720dpi printer isn't necessarily better than a 600dpi printer. Another significant factor in print quality is the number of ink cartridges in a printer. Some use a single cartridge design, meaning if you print in black only, you put in a black cartridge; and if you want color, you put in a 3-color cartridge. This system then mixes the 3 colors anywhere black is needed on the page, which produces a lighter washed-out looking black. It also uses a lot more ink, slows the printing process and soaks the paper.
I recommend a dual-cartridge printer, which prints faster, provides superior output, and saves money on ink. I also recommend prioritizing your interests of importance based on your needs is the first thing to decide before settling on dpi's. Followed by the affordability and desirable quality.
Always get a sample printout. Deciding on which is the best is best answered by you and your needs. You are the one that has to be satisfied with what you see and what you interpretate as looking good. We all have different views and perspectives. Good Luck!

JustOneBrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back