Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
I am not sure of this as I have not done this before on Linux networks. We have this printer activated (I mean the port has been activated), which does not have an IP address as yet though. Normally what I would do on Windows networks is to install drivers for it on each such machine. So how do I go about this for Linux machines, more specifically, how do I give an IP address to the activated port to start with.
I would be greatful for any tutorials, how-to's or any personal suggestions in this regard. I referred to this tutorial,
But it does not say how to give the port an IP address.
Thanks in advance.

Sonun,
I'm sorry, I don't know where to start on this.
A port is associated with an address, not vice versa.
A socket references a connection.

So the machines ip address, where the service is
running, is the address and the port number is the port
bound by the service for listening to client requests.
A socket is what results when a tcp connect is successful.

Really, really cool to me is this:

If even half of what they claim is right and they are doing
for peanuts then they should be sainted.

ifincham:
Have you looked at this(above url) what do you think?

Marsd,
I am really as confused as you are. Let me get to the bottom of this. Those words "port activated, no IP address" were what I heard from somebody. He said that the port for the new printer has been activated and when I asked for the IP address, he said "its whatever you give it". So you see ........
Ifincham,
Looks very promising as they promise. Have to try before I give them any credit.
Thanks.

Sorry....
Also, how does CUPS sound for the occasion.

Sounds good: everybody is using it now I've heard..
It had some early problems so I have stayed clear.
Maybe it will be what you need as far as a service and
support structure goes..
Good Luck..

Hi,

I think I understand what you mean. If you have a printer directly attached to the parallel port of a linux box then you don't give it an ip address - it uses the IP address of the box itself, qualified with a queue name. Locally you refer to it just by the 'name' (e.g. lp) and would print with something like :

lpr -Plp myfile

thats really the same as doing :

lpr -Plp@127.0.0.1 myfile

(where 127.0.0.1 is the loopback IP address)

The specifics of the printer ('drivers', etc) are contained in /etc/printcap (printer capabilities file) and utilities like printconf write to that file.

Now, if you want to access the same printer from another box you then have to refer to it's IP address in the lpr command (printername@IP address) or, better, you can setup a 'remote' unix lpd queue with redhat's printconf-gui tool that you would refer to locally only by its name. Once you've changed things with printconf, you have to do :

/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd restart

Redhat printconf uses magicfilter, the foomatic system, and the Linux Printing Database ( which supports over 500 printers.
On Redhat you can't really edit /etc/printcap itself because it is dynamically re-created each time lpd is started. However you can check it and see the contents via :

/usr/sbin/pccheck -V

So, for lpd/lpr printing you would need to create a remote queue on the clients to point to the 'server' IP address and the relevant print queue defined on that box. If you want to have non-lpr capable clients then you would be best to use Samba to set up a SMB print queue that windoze users could access. It is possible to do this NT style where the drivers are stored on a special share so you don't have to go round installing on each box.

Hope this helps

Thanks again Ifincham,
That was very useful.
Reg giving an IP address, I guess it can be configured on the printer itself.
So I guess all I have to do now is to "create a remote queue on the clients to point to the 'server' IP address and the relevant print queue defined on that box" as you say. I guess I need to restart the lpd after that. I will try that out next week as its the earlist I can get back to it.
But I am not sure about setting up smb print queues for non-lpr capable clients. Would be great if I could be provided some how-to's on the same.
Also, I need some more (I mean exhaustive !!) info on installing RPM's and in general packages and applications in Redhat7.1. I am still not very sure of installing new packages, uninstalling them, installing patches and also regarding make's and Makefile's. Would be really really grateful for any tutorials on those as well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back