Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer beep after print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozette

MIS
Apr 1, 1999
US
We just got a new Lexmark E460dn. All's fine except that is has a loud, 5 second beep every time a print job finishes. This printer will be used mostly for very frequent 1 to 3 page print jobs, not large docs, so a beep after every print would be very frequent and very annoying. I called tech support but they couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I don't have much faith in them though since they asked if I had a phone line hooked up to the printer. There isn't even a jack for a phone line! Does anyone have any idea about where I might look to turn this sound off? Obviously I'm desperate. I'd return it rather than have that beep buy my boss spent weeks researching the perfect printer and doesn't want to go through that again. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm not familiar with the E460DN, but page 106 of the User's Guide says there is a "Quiet Mode" which is OFF by default. ("Settings" Menu - > "General Settings")

All it says is:
Quiet Mode
Reduces the amount of noise produced by the printer
Notes:
• Off is the factory default setting.
• On configures the printer to produce as little noise as possible.
which is vague at best.

HTH.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thank you. We did try changing Quiet Mode from the default of 'off' to 'on'. No luck. I even tried turning that feature back to 'off' then to 'on' again. I couldn't tell one bit of difference in the amount of noise the printer made, including the beep. We're going to try exchanging the printer in case we just got a bad one. Today I had to do a 30-page print job and the beep sounded continually for the entire 30 pages. Yikes! That can't be right.

Bozette said:
We did try changing Quiet Mode from the default of 'off' to 'on'. No luck. I even tried turning that feature back to 'off' then to 'on' again. I couldn't tell one bit of difference in the amount of noise the printer made, including the beep.
Oh dear - but somehow I'm not surprised.

I hope you can get it sorted under warranty or replaced.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Admittedly this might sound drastic, but couldn't you just disconnect the speaker in the printer?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back