Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer and file redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncvandy

MIS
Jul 10, 2001
US
I had a server fail and needed to get the various file shares (department and home directories) as well as numerous printers back on line as soon as possible.
For the printers I had previously used Printer Migration Utility to capture all the printer settings so I ran a print migration import on the new server. This created all the printers and associated info, i.e. ports, shares, etc.
I reloaded all the share data and set all the appropriate permissions and for the shares mappings that are handled by the logon script, they changed appropriately. .
The one trick I tried was to make a DNS alias for the failed server to the new server. The theory being, if any of the users had any hard mappings to server1, the alias would send them to server2. If I ping the old server by name, the new server responds. The ip address is not the same however as the old address. All the printer share names, file shares etc were identical between the old server and new server. Theory and reality however did not match. If the new server printers and shares are accessed directly, they work with no problem, but trying to redirect any hard mappings using a dns alias was a no go. I am wondering why this theory will not work or if there is some step that I missed that would make it work.

Jim

Elegant solutions are nice, but right now I'll settle for whatever works.

File shares, printers etc. tend to use the Netbios name not the DNS name. There is a way to give a server a 2nd netbios name but I never got it to work.

Neill

Thanks Neill,
Your comment started me down the right path. I registered a second NetBIOS name by modifying the registry as shown

HKLM\System\CurrenControlSet\Services\LanmanServer \Parameters add String value "OptionalNames" the value must be your 2nd netbios name (Alias)

HKLM\System\CurrenControlSet\Services\LanmanServer \Parameters add Dword value "DisableStrictNameChecking" the value must be REG_DWORD=1 .

Once I made these mods, restarted the server service and did a nbtstat -RR to refresh the names it all started working.

Jim

Elegant solutions are nice, but right now I'll settle for whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back