Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print value from query on form

Status
Not open for further replies.

elisharae

Technical User
Aug 24, 2002
US
I am trying to print the value from a query on my form.

So, I have a text box on the ClaimClient_MainForm form called ClaimCount.

My query goes like this:

dim sql as string
sql=SELECT Claim.ClientID, Count(Claim.ClaimID) AS CountOfClaimID
FROM Claim
GROUP BY Claim.ClientID
HAVING (((Claim.ClientID)=[forms]![ClaimClient_MainForm]![ClientID]))

I would like the value of ClaimID to write to the ClaimCount text box on my form.

How do I execute this query and make this little write statement happen?

Thanks,
Julie

I would forget the query and use a Dlookup

Put this in the Control Source of the text box.

DlookUp("[ClaimID]","Claim","[ClientID]="&)=[Forms]![ClaimClient_MainForm]![ClientID])

Hope this helps

Dermot

My previous post had an error, sorry.

Put this in the Control Source of the text box.

DlookUp("[ClaimID]","Claim","[ClientID]="&[Forms]![ClaimClient_MainForm]![ClientID])

Dermot

A minor correction to the above post. You must put an equal sign to the left of the Dlookup; ie:

=DlookUp("[ClaimID]","Claim","[ClientID]="&[Forms]![ClaimClient_MainForm]![ClientID])

There is also an assumption that the ClientId is defined as a numeric field - which it probably is; However, if its
not, then you'll need to make some minor changes, as illustrated below:

=DlookUp("[ClaimID]","Claim","[ClientID]='"&[Forms]![ClaimClient_MainForm]![ClientID] & "'" )

What this does is "surround" the ClientId with single quotes, to allow it to match up with a non numeric ClientId. As stated, you wont need or want to do this, unless the client Id is defined as non numeric.

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

I'm not familiar with the DLookup function (help was of no use when looking it up) - how does this count the number of claims for the client?
I also tried to set the control source of the text box to my count query (=[ClaimCount]![CountOfClaimID]) where countOFClaimID is the count function in the query, but it just resulted in #Name.

Thanks for your help,
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back