Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print user information to desktop screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

accessuser1023

Programmer
Jun 9, 2013
US
all,

I read a thread here that suggested that doing this was not possible without bginfo.exe. I don't believe that, as there must be a way to print out user information to the screen using the WScript shell or another object. Does anyone know of any painting method in the shell service or an equivalent that can print some text representing environment variables to the desktop screen?

thanks!

Have a look at the WshShell.Environment collection and the the WScript.Echo method.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,

thanks for your input. I know you're a veteran here. Per this link:

Link

I don't believe these methods do what I need. the purposes of these 2 scripting methods are to print output to dialogs and the command window.

Am I missing something that I don't know about? FYI - I am capturing user information from AD (Active Directory) and I want to throw it to the DT screen in any form that is available and leave it there for the whole windows session...(image, etc...)

What about explaining CLEARLY what do you want to do ?
What is a DT screen for you ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I apologize PHV. This is exactly what I want to output to the DESKTOP screen, only different data (which I should already have written the script to capture into string variables):

That is an image from data that is outputted to the desktop with bginfo.exe. I want to do this simply by scripting it with a windows script. As mentioned before, I am pulling data from activeDirectory (a Microsoft Network service) already with VBScript (via group policy log on) and the part I am missing now is how to output that data to the desktop and leave it there for the entire session (as per the example in the link). Here is the data that I (think) my code already captures:

ComputerName
UserName
Domain

Would you like to see the code I already have too? again, thanks. I know you're busy.

I don't have the answer you are looking for, but can I ask why not just use bginfo, since it already seems to do exactly what you want without any vbscript necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back