Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driscoll47

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
AU
When I try and print out something that is on the internet, it comes out of the printer as loads of squares overlapping and stuff. Diagrams and some symbols come out but thats its- its mostly squares. When I print a pdf on adobe acrobat 5.0 that is stored on my harddrived there is no trouble at all..

any suggestions?
cheers

Wait, I just tried saving it onto my hard drive and it still prints as squares. So its basically all the pdf files from the sydney uni website.

So does anyone know why this would be happening?

My guess is that the PDFs you are trying to print off the web are using a font that is not installed on your hard drive, and which they have not embedded in the PDF itself. Can you email the producers of the PDF and ask what font they have used?

Just had another thought...

You mention you have Adobe Acrobat - are you taling about the full program or just the free Reader? If the full Acrobat, can you open the downloaded PDFs in it, then extract/copy the text and paste into into Notepad, WordPad or Word?

Also, have a look at the 'PDF to text copnversion' thread a little way down the list - which implies you don't need the full version of Acrobat, you can also do it from the Reader. And a couple of other useful suggetions.

Cheers eggles mate for the help. It took me a while to come back but your help is finally appreciated lol.
I'll ask my brother about my version of acrobat, I'm going to assume i've got a free version but my brother might have bought it. I spoke to the uni about the problem and even they don't know what it is. They said that it works on some computers and others it doesn't and they can't do anything about it. By this, I'm going to say there is a fair chance that your font theory may be correct.
I'll let you know how i go.

Cheers, Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back