Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print to PDF and Data Disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalxavier

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
US
Here we go... I have a report that is generated in Access 2000 from data collected in an Access form. As everyone knows, when you export to a Word file, you lose all of the formatting and things that make the report itself come together. So the alternative to this is to print to PDF and retain all of the formatting.

Here is where it gets tricky. Embedded into the report is an ActiveX Control called SigPlus which displays a signature that is captured from a USB device. It displays on the screen fine in Form View, Report view and when you print to PDF on one of the laptops. Everything from the DB to the specific report as well as the coding for the signature device were all written on the laptop that functions. Of course, when I copied the DB as well as installed the drivers for the Signature device on any other laptop, for some reason, it will not show the signature when you print to PDF.

I am at a loss. Everything is the same. All the references, the code, the installation, the hardware, software... you name it, it is IDENTICAL. Even Adobe Writer is installed from the same CD with all of the same options. I have tried researching this on the Net hoping to find some kind of help but to no avail. My assumption is that this is an Access issue since it comes bundled with so many problems or "Undocumented Features" but I am not sure.

Any help, tips, suggestions, guidance, references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Xavier

----------------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning."
Rick Cook

I am assuming the lack of responses means no one has any kind of suggestions for me...

[sad]

Xavier

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning."
Rick Cook

Assumptions:
1 - you're using the same version of MS Access on both machines.
2 - you're using Adobe Acrobat Distiller or Adobe PDF (Acrobat 6) on both machines to do the print.
3 - the installation options on both MS Access have all components included (when you run the Setup).

Assuming all of that is true, there are two things you can try. I'd recommend the first one, even though it adds an additional step.

First, can you print the report as a .snp (Snapshot) file? Does this retain the signature? If not, you know the issue is indeed with Access. If it does, then it may be a setting in Adobe, or something else. Printing the report as a .snp (if you can) will allow you to print to PDF from there, and it should retain the information that way. Tedious, but it gets the job done.

Second, have you made sure ActiveX is enabled in both MS Access and Internet Options on the other machine(s)? If it's disabled anywhere for security reasons, the ActiveX control will not run. There is also the Macro security being set too high to execute the appropriate code.

If neither of these fixes it...then that's a stumper. The first one sounds like the best step to troubleshoot.

All assumptions are correct. This laptops are all imaged using the same image... So Yes to 1, 2, and 3. Acrobat 6 Professionalis what is being used.
I cannot use Snapshot because when I tried it, for some reason, it drops the right hand edge of the page. I even checked to make sure it isn't too wide on the page and it isn't.
NOW... Your second option I think could be golden... I personally use the machine that PDF functions on and may have changed settings along the way for I-net. So I will check that and get back to you.
In the meantime, all other suggestions are welcome.

Xavier

Rick Cook

Let me know how it works out with the ActiveX and security setting. It's the only thing I can think of.

Sorry for the gigantic lapse in time. I tried this and it did not work. I have tried many other things and still nothing. If there is ANY information that someone has, it would be greatly appreciated.

Xavier

Rick Cook

That USB device...is that a tablet PC by chance?
This may be a stretch, but I'm wondering if there's something with that laptop (the working one) - something that's enabling it to do what you need it to do where others fail. Perhaps something unique to the laptop. I know you said you imaged it across to other laptops, but what about hardware configuration? Are they the same laptop, or are there any significant hardware differences (i.e. different USB hub)?

Also, I forgot if you mentioned this, but does the signature show on screen on any other laptop? Not after printing the PDF, but in the report preview? IF it does, is there a setting somewhere, possibly with the tablet driver, that tells it to print?

One other thing I forgot to have you check - on the properties for the control itself on the other laptops, under "Display When" does it say "Always"? It needs to. If it's set to "Screen Only", that's your problem. An unlikely symptom, but doesn't hurt to check everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back