Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Spooler keeps hanging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

godcom

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
JP
I am running an NT4.0 sp6a server with 10 HP 4000tn and HP 4050 printers running off it. For some reason the spooler service has started to hang and stop print jobs running. There is no pattern to this and it is occurring about 2-3 times a day. Once the spooler service is restarted, then no problems for a few hours.

Any Ideas

Steve

You have plenty of disk space on the drive that the spooling folder is located on? Any errors related to the spooler service showing up in your event logs? Has the system been rebooted since the problems started happening?

godcom,

Also have you installed anything since you applied SP6a, if so I would try reinstalling the service pack and see if this corrects your problems.

The c drive has about 875 mb of free space on it, there has been no error messages in the event log at all. I re-installed SP6a and did a reboot last week.

Hi

Are your print ports still available. It could be that you have no spooling problem. Can you configure your ports?

Is this a printer only accessed locally or are you printing from clients to the spooler?

If the latter, go to each client and set them to print directly to the printer. If you spool from a client to the NT spooler, Windows hates it.

We had the same problem. I fixed it by the following:

Spool on the server, set the client to print directly to printer.
Disable bi-directional printing
set print share (on server) to print after last page is spooled
and lastly

set all print shares (on server) to print spooled jobs first. ( this is what stalls the spool)

if that is not enough then you need to set up a spool directory for eaach printer and go into the registry and set the key up to point to the new spool. We had to do the last step when we exceeded 35 printers.

I've done everything suggested and we seem to have stopped the spooler service from continually hanging (thanks for the suggestions), however i'm now getting an error message every so often that reads
Event ID 2510
Source: SRV
Type Error
Description The server service was unable to map error code 1726.

When this occurs, I have to stop the spooler and basically logoff the session and log back on again to restart the spooler.

Microsofts knowledge base was next to useless. Anyone seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back