Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Spooler error message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
US
We recently added a few new printers to our network. Now some of our workstations keep getting error messages which causes the print spooler service to stop. Restarting the service works sometimes, but other times we need to reboot the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

I've found this fix to work the best.

To fix the problem:

1. Delete all your printers

2. In the File menu, press Server Properties

3. Select the Drivers Tab, and delete all printer drivers

4. Delete any sub-keys, if they exists, from:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\version -2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Enviroments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\version -3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PrintEnviroments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\version -2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PrintEnviroments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\version -3

Then restart your computer and re-install all printers and print drivers.

You can try to just edit the registry first but I found that this fix works best if you delete all printers and print drivers as well.

Good Luck

Devon

I would also check and make sure that you have enough HD space left on the partition that contains the spooler folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back