Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Service Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidTheSquid

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
CA
Is there any reason why a print service would stop by itself? This is happening at my workplace (using windowsNT). Our temporary solution is to restart the server and then all the printers come back online.(meaning we can connect to our network printers). After a couple of hours, no-one is able to connect to any of the printers again...We go to the server and we restart again.

Is it some conflict with other software? With other hardware? Perhaps some new software that was installed on the server?

Has anybody has experienced this before? If so, please write how you solved this problem.

thanks
Sid

Hey this is a commmon problem so has lots of causes and because of this lots of solutions but thats why we get the big bucks!!!!! LOL

Right first off post the event log telling you why the spooler service crashed that will help us enormously help you.

Have you installed any new printers / server hardware / server software if so can you remove it to see if the service crashes again if it does that ain't your problem if it does then problem solved.

Post the event log and we'll see what we can do ;)

Iain

I agree with Spirit...post the messages from event viewer.

Also, until you find out what is causing the spooler service to stop...instead of restarting the server, try to restart the spooler service (control panel -> services -> spooler).

We have been having the same problem over the past 2 weeks. Good ole' Dr.Watson has been dumping the Spooler, but the event logs are not logging anything out of the ordinary accept that the service is restarted.

I cannot seem to find the cause of any problems, which printer, etc. Anyone know of any good tools for tracking jobs sent to the spooler and then I can find out if it is a corrupt dll on the printer or a print job coming from a particular workstation on the network.

Running Windows NT 4.0

Hmm.. I would post the event, but I dont really have access to the server :) We just opened the door and pressed the reset button. Our tech guy was away today.

I'll tell him on monday. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back