Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Server Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello!

I have 4 network printer set-up on an NT 4 sp6a server, three of these printers are HP5000 and the other is a HP4000.

The problem I having is that when a big print job (e.g. PDF 100 pages) is sent to the one of the HP5000 the other HP5000 jobs are queue job until the original job is finished. However, the HP 4000 isn’t effected can’t anyone tell me why this is happening and if there is a workaround.

Thanks
Anne

I'm not sure what is causing this problem. The first place I would check would be printer priorities. Maybe a priority has been set that allows certain users (in this case the one sending the large print jobs) the rights to print jobs before other users can. Remember, 99 is the highest priority and 1 is the lowest.

Thanks for the input AMCSE, I checked the printer priorities and all are set exactly the same. Can anything else be causing this? Should all printers print simultaneously?

Any help appreciated as this one is killing me
Anne

Supposing that the HP4000 is not using the same driver as the HP5000 printers it sounds as if there is a problem with the driver for the 5000 printers. It sounds as if the whole printer driver gets occupied when you print these big print jobs and cannot be used by the other two printers even if they are three different printers. I would try to find a new printer driver for the HP5000 printers and see if that changes anything.
Hope this helps

/Hof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back