Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Screen graphic format default

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv6886

Programmer
Dec 31, 2002
US
At work, I use the Print Screen feature on my computer (WinXP Pro SP1) all the time. It creates a .bmp formatted image. I them convert the image in Paint to .jpg format for my e-mails.

I've never really questioned that things could be different until yesterday I had occasion to e-mail a screen print from my home computer (WinXP Pro SP2). This computer created a .jpg formatted image.

Does anyone know if there is a way to manually set the image format for the Print Screen functionality in WinXP Pro? Or is it possible that the .jpg format is only available with SP2 (our IT department continues to resist updating our machines with SP2)?

Thanks for your help,
wcprog

Even in SP2. PrintScreen saves in the .Bmp file format. This has always been the Default format.

I wonder if you have some third party software installed that is exercising some control over this default function?

When you press PrintScreen key, this places image of your desktop in Windows clipboard. Then you can paste this image where you want. If you do this in MS Paint, the default format for new image there is BMP. If you do this in other imaging software, there can be other default formats. I recently did it in MS PhotoEditor and it was in GIF format. You can do this even in Word document or directly in Outlook's new mail window.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Thank you for your responses.

Karlis
Yes, I just noticed that. After reading linney's response, I went back in and tried pasting the results in various programs as you did (with the same results, of course).

The difference must be in the e-mail client versions I am using (Work - Outlook 2000; Home - Outlook 2002). I wonder if there is any way to set the default image paste format in these...? Oh well, I guess that is something for an Outlook forum ;-)

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back