Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print rubbish, no matter what printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leitana

Technical User
Jul 6, 2003
MY

I have a computer that prints odd characters when using a printer connected to the parallel port. printing via usb is fine.

OS is win98se. steps that had already been done are :

change printers
change cables
reinstall lpt1
reinstall printer driver

the port is on the mb, and i cannot find a parallel port card (are there still one?).

May very well be a blown parallel port, or a driver transistor beyond the port itself.
You can still find parallel port cards, both in ISA and PCI. Or at least there were 2 months ago. But they are becoming scarcer.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I couldn't hurt to try the different settings for the port type in the BIOS. I remember some older printers hating ECP and EPP. Try SPP (or normal) Hay why not try them all, you never know.

good luck

Thanks. sorry, it's been some time, but I have not been around lately. UncleRick's work. It's (normal), by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back