Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print report on paper roll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

florindaniel

Programmer
Dec 4, 2009
RO
Hello,
I am trying to print an invoice on a continous paper roll.
My problem is I can't dfine page length as "free" or somethig like that.
I can only select from fixed page sizes and the printout is some 3 meters long.

Any ideas on how to print in this conditions?

Thank you,
Daniel

Since it is not a standard size page, I would not use the report writer (FRX). Instead I would use the command

Code:
??? Expression

To send the output directly to the printer. You can also send the command to cut the paper with the same command. Use the command

Code:
SET PRINTER TO printername

To first set the printer to output to.

Greg

Hi Greg, thank you.

I can't use ?? commands because I need to print graphic elements on that invoice.

Thank you

According to Bernard Bout it's just a matter of having the appropriate printer driver installed and VFP reports on such roll paper printer simply get as long as necessary for their detail band and end with a paper cut.

And that was in 2008. If that problem wasn't a problem way back then I really wonder what printer driver you use. Are you printing using "Generic/Text"? If you want support for a printer, use its driver.

So, in all clarity, it's not true what Greg said. You don't have to revert to legacy printing commands to print on roll paper.

Chriss

Unfortunately, "Generic/Text Only" won't work in this case, because it doesn't support the printing of graphics.

I would have thought you could achieve your goal by using an existing printer driver, but, within the report writer, set the heights of the header and footer bands to zero, and set the "Print area" to "Whole page".

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Hello Daniel,

This is surprising. At my place, we're using FRX (with graphics and without graphics, various fonts, font sizes etc) for printing onto Thermal Slip printers. There shouldn't be anything complex about that.

Which printer you use? Try to install the correct printer driver.
If you don't have install/driver files, you can search internet with your printer brand and model name for an updated driver package. Download and install.

Before you going to edit the FRX, make your slip printer as the Default Printer. Then, when you go FRX Properties and Page size, you should see the Slip Printer and choosing that should automatically show the available width. In case of a Paper Roll, length is irrelevant as roll paper doesn't have a fixed height (or length if you call so)

Rajesh

Hello,

maybe you can use NOPAGEEJECT clause and send an empty report without it afterwards

regards
tom

I have a custom printer driver I wrote for Visual FreePro that might work. It lets you position things on a logical page, and then sends that to the print spooler.

If you can't find another solution let me know and I'll give you a copy and example of my PrintDoc() functions.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back