Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print queue to call a script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcbatlinux

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a program that sends information to a valid print queue. What I need to do is have the print queue call a script and manipulate the output that the program sent.

Any way to get a print queue to call a script and use the output that would normally have printed to the queue?

rcbatlinux

Is this not the wrong way round ?

Surely you should modify it first and then send it to the printer ?

Alex

Alex,

That is what I need to do. But the program that sends the output to the printer has to send it to a valid AIX print queue or a file. So I need that output to be sent, call the script, manipulate data, then actually send it to its destination.

Rick

This URL has several sample printer backend scripts and describes how to use them. I've done services contracts where I've accepted print jobs and then called accounting programs based on this information.
Basic AIX Printer Backend Program Example
Example Korn Shell Printer Backend Programs
Example Shell AIX Printer Backend Program
Print File Archiving - uses a custom backend
Custom Backend to Wake Up an HPLJ5L

hi,

you can try editing /etc/qconfig file ( make a copy of it first) stop qdaemon first
edit the backend parameter to run your script
then start qdaemon

i.e. backend = your script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back