Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print losing format over remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

daluder

MIS
Oct 7, 2008
US
I will give all info on network then ask the question.

remote office connecting to main office via vpn router. Users are using remote desktop to a server at the main office (two different countries). Brother network printer is installed at remote office and prints fine.

Issue
When users are connected to remote desktop and decide to print it take about 90 seconds (i think this is normal because of the distance) but the formatting lost in the print document. It comes out as raw text with no formatting.

Is this a driver issue or what?

Is there a way to have the remote desktop connect local printers so it doesn't have to send the job from one country to another via vpn?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am stuck on this one.

Yes, if they connect via RDP you can use your local printers.

i installed the printer directly on the terminal server and not on the print server. Now it loads the local printer when logging in through remote desktop

Is the printer showing up as a session printer for the user? How is it installed on the server and are the users pc's parts of the domain? The printer you said is a networked print assuming with an IP address, so then it should be printing fine unless there is a driver issue as you mentioned.

it is showing up as a session printer. it is installed as a local printer on the server and now that the server has the drivers on it it installs for the session. No domain and connecting through vpn from socal to europe. All equipment is in the UK. So when it was setup on the UK's print server and the ip was in the US it would lose formatting somewhere in the vpn transmision.

Maybe just putting the drivers on the terminal server would have done the trick but its working now so i didn't mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back