Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print from 1 subnet to another subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman56

Technical User
Jan 27, 2012
US
I have a cable modem connected to router1 (LinkSys wireless router model WRT54G) IP 192.168.1.x mask 255.255.255.0 set for DHCP. Router1 goes to switch and is used to connect to the internet wired and wireless.
Switch is connected to Server 2003, IP 192.168.1.99 set for DHCP server and DNS server running Active Directory with a domain and 6 pc's. Also feeds router2 (LinkSys wireless router model WRT54G) IP 192.168.0.x mask 255.255.255.0
Router2 is used to connect wirelessly to cnc machines and to a pc for feeding files to the cnc
machines. This pc has 2 nic's. 1 nic for the 192.168.1.x network is set for DHCP,this is plugged into router2.

The 2nd nic is wireless, static IP 192.168.0.x mask 255.255.255.0 with no gateway. Currently the cnc machines cannot see the internet and the pc's cannot see the cnc machines, this is a good thing and we want to keep it this way.
What I want to do is print to a network printer with an IP of 192.161.1.xxx from 1 cnc machine with an IP of 192.168.0.xxx . This cnc machine has XP Pro and has its own workgroup called "workgroup" and a wireless nic that can currently transfer files to an ftp server set to 192.168.0.210 on the computer with the 2 nic's

Currently I can not ping any of the 192.168.1.x IP's.from the cnc and I also cannot ping any of the 192.168.0.xxx from the desktops pc's

Thank You

We have 2 routers because we want wireless on 2 seperate subnets for security.

We have 2 routers because we want wireless on 2 seperate subnets for security.

I don't think this comment makes sense in light of A) your network topography and B) the fact that wireless security is not based on subnets.

Maybe you can explain the rationale for how your network got to where it is and someone could say yea or nay in terms of logic.

Your network is illogical for security, and multiple subnets does not make security a reality in any design, and you won't get security from Linksys. If you want a real firewall/router try Fortinet's Fortigate series, like the FG60C. They provide some real network security, and you won't have a problem with network printing.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back