Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Engine Error when opening .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemcguigan

Technical User
May 8, 2001
I have been playing around with report distribution in ver. 8.0.1.0 and have managed to create an exe of a report and place it on my desktop.
When I go to open the exe I get a Print Engine Error of "Invalid File Name" and it won't print.

Is this something to do with dlls? Any other ideas?

How does the report connect to it's data?
Did you run the distribution to create disks and then install the disks? Ken Hamady
On-site custom Crystal Reports Training and Consulting.
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB.

Stop the presses! I just managed to successfully compile an exe and print it, both saved and refreshed - not sure what I did that I didn't do last time, but it works.

Out of interest, we're extracting data from Goldmine 5 (dBASE) and compiling reports as .exe files to send to users without Crystal.

Thanks for responding so quickly, if this turns out to be a fluke, I'll be back....

That is good, but Goldmine 5.0 can Run CR reports without the EXE process. They have an option within the reports menu. Ken Hamady

We only have a limited number of licenses though; if opening a report through Goldmine actually opens Crystal as an aplication then I don't think it would be suitable for us as we want quite a few users to be able to open and refresh reports without using up a license.

I don't believe that a report through Goldmine requires Crystal Reports at all. It doesn't open the program. It shouldn't require a license, but you can confirm that by doing it. Ken Hamady

Ok thanks; I'll have a look into the Goldmine reporting next week and let you know how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back