Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print a large image

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufka

ISP
Dec 18, 2000
US
Using Photoshop CS3. How can I get a very large image to print across multiple sheets of paper?

this has nothing to do with photoshop but your printer settings. print the picture to pdf and then print it normally. except make sure shrink/expand to fit is unselected from the printer dialog box that pops up. from there you will then have to trim the paper to get what you want.

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

Hi,
I'd probably take in to Illustrator as it offers much better alignment/placement options and you can actually see properly what is going to be printed.

Anchor Text [/url ]

This may sound weird but I use Indesign if I am not using more then 4 or 6 pieces of paper.

I make a page that is the size of the sheet I want to print. Usually 8.5 by 11.

Then I import the image full size.

I then align the photo in the upper left corner of the sheet and print, move it so it is aligned lower left print etc.

You get four sheets with the over lap on the inside then I trim them and put them together on a light table.

You can actually do the printing part in only a few minutes and see exactly what you are going to get.

I have had problems with the auto ones printing one little strip with and image when if it had just moved over it could have save several sheets.

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't there a tile pages setting in InDesign? This allows you to set the overlap so that when you glue them together, you can easily align the pages using a light table. That way you bring the image into a document set the same size as the image, and still print on A4 or letter-size, etc.

Cheers,
Greg Ledger

http://macproductionartist.wordpress.com
I have just found that I get better results when I do it by hand.

I started doing this in PageMaker which had a really bad tile function, it would sometimes print 4 pages of paper with a thin strip of the image along one side while leaving an inch wide margin on the other side when all that was needed was to move the image over a quarter of an inch.

I just kept doing it this way since I literally only take a few minutes and gives me complete control of how the image is placed on the sheets.

Next time I have to print something large I'll try the tile feature in InDesign and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back