Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prince2 Documents help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeddyY

Programmer
Jan 12, 2011
GB
Hi guys,

I've recently started self learning Prince2 and will soon be overlooking a small project. I've only been self learning for the past month, possibly two half business weeks.

My question is how do I decide which documents to include in the project?

It is a small project which includes re-writing an existing part of a customers web application.

I will be using MS Project 2010 (Evaluation copy) as the management tool.

If I have missed anything out, can you please let me know.

Your help is much appreciated.

The Smart *&(^^!&^@ answer would be to include all and only the documents in your "Statement of Work"

I do not know what a 'Prince2" is never heard of it, but I do know that project mangement is huge subject and the best place to learn is via the "project management institute" You may have a local PMI branch in your city and you should consider going to some of their meetings.

Also please realize MS Project is a project mangement TOOL, but many (Most?) professional PMs do not use it, except for projects of middle size (Say 10 people 1 year). It can be a real pain to use for small projects, and falls way short for large ones. (The above is of course IMO only.)

Back to your question: "My question is how do I decide which documents to include in the project?" Seems to me that any document that is created as part of the project, is therefore part of the project.

Are you asking "What documents should be created as part of the project documentation"? If so it depends, as each project is different. Some to consider (And this is far from a complete list, just a few off the top of my head. See PMI for a much, much fuller list.)

Project Charter
Statement of work
Risk Log
Project Plan
Project Log
Progess Notifications
Change requests
Technical Documentation
User Manual
After Action Review

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Trying to head off a possible issue before it exists:

I was trying to go for a funny witty posting, but re-reading my posting above several hours later I think all I achived was one that sounds a bit like a smart aleck. Sorry, try to read the good information in it, and ignore the shall we say poorly written part of it.

(Darn it there are too many days that I sound/write like I am a know it all, when really on a good day I might know 10% of what is need.) Need to find a good relational Therapist I guess <wink>

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back