Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary Master not reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hecate

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
CA
I'm running a Pentium 266 with a noisy fan. In trying to fix, and possibly replace, my fan I unscrewed it and fiddled with some of the connectors. When I restarted my computer, the Primary Master (a 20GB HD) was not detected, but my Prmary Slave (a 6GB HD) and both my seconday master and slave (CD ROMs) were detected. I tried resetting my BIOS default settings, auto-detecting my drives, and such, but to no avail. So I switched the Pr. Master and Slave, and now it's not detecting either the 20GB or 6GB HD. Right now I'm praying that I have not ruined either HDs. Can anyone help me?

Check if all cables are connected properly and that you haven't changed any of the master/slave settings.

Try disconnecting all the IDE devices and then just connecting the primary disk.

Original problem sounds like you disconneted the fan power , which was an inline tap that went to the HD. Or in messing with it the connectors loosened up or were loose to start with.
Matter of reseating everything. You probably haven't hurt anything.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back