Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary Master boot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouble1

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
US
I've seen lots of problems similar to mine but nothing seems to fit. The drive squeals as it boots up and sometimes I get the boot failure message and sometimes not. It doesn't always squeal but seems to more often than before. If I press the reset button or shut down and start over, eventually it will boot. The problem has been getting progressively worse.

My best guess is that the drive is warped. Anyone have a better idea or any suggestions as to a remedy. The drive is a Maxtor 30GB 7200 rpm. The Maxtor utility says there is nothing wrong with the drive.

This is strange as I've had that happen to a much older PC once (1996)......the good news for me was it eventually just went away on it's own...I never knew what caused it....maybe humidity.....or it needs a cleaning in there(possibilty of dust/dirt invasion.....a drives worst enemy)......
that's all I got for now...

TT4U

I'd suggest you back up your data ASAP - then replace the drive. Its obviously damaged & may die at any time.

Got to root for the Techtippy result. What little data I need is backed up. I'll clean and adjust the insides of the case when I get ambitious. Maybe cooler weather will help. Anyone else had this happen to them?

This may sound like a simpleton answer but make sure that you have the tower or desktop level and that the harddrive is tightened into place right with no slipping. Centrifical (however you spell it) force can knock ya drive into chaos if not taken care of.

Life is like an array of randoms, ya never know what ya gonna get!!!

I cleaned up inside and fixed the drive mount so it was less able to vibrate and so far not a pip or a sqeak. No failure to read the boot record either. Hopefully good fortune will last. If I don't post again, it did.
Thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back