Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

primary keys and auto numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

niqola

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
DE
Hi,
I must create an Oracle DB and I can inspire me of the old DB in Access. In some tables, there's an auto-numbering. For example:
tbl_Deliverers(
no_Deliverer(auto-number)
name_Deliverer(text))

I think of throwing away "no_deliverer" but of keeping "name_Deliverer" under Oracle. I would just get a kind of lookup table. But I may not be aware of the consequences.
I have many tables like that under access and i'm looking for advice.
Thx

If you need some kind of unique numbering look at sequences

Regards, Dima

If I were you, I would keep the columns that are auto-numbered in access and declare these to be the primary keys on those tables. There are numerous good reasons for using "artificial" primary keys. As DIMA stated above, you can get the same functionality as auto-numbering by using a sequence combined with a BEFORE ROW trigger. When a user executes an insert statement like this:

INSERT INTO tbl_Delivers (name_Deliverer)
VALUES ('XXX');

The following trigger will cause the no_Deliverer column to be set to a unique value:
Code:
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER gen_pk_for_tbl_Delivers
BEFORE INSERT
FOR EACH ROW

BEGIN
   SELECT tbl_Delivers_seq.NEXTVAL INTO :NEW.no_Deliverer
     FROM dual;
END;

Assumes that you have previously created the sequence tbl_Delivers_seq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search