Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary Key question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance59

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2007
US
I have an inventory db with a table called items which I am using GUID for the item_id and table_key (auto incrementing) for the primary key. Works just fine. I also have a table called item_history which is a copy of items table including the primary key field. I am using this to be able to recall the items history. Just before I make a change to the item in items table it copies it to the item_history table. If another change is required it again copies (inserts not update) it to item_history.

The problem I have is when I copy the row from items to item_history the second time I get an error about duplicate primary key if I have the primary key turned on in item_history.

My question is does the item_history table need a primary key? Or how do I get around this?

TIA

I really don't see a need for a PK in the history table. But, if you want to add one, create a new column, and don't use the PK column from the original table as the pk column because you will get an error as you have seen.

Item history should have its own PK, not by the item. You should not get this error if the Item_history table is designed correctly.

You may post that table script in case something is wrong.

Yes, it needs a seperate primary key, and a foreign key relationship to the items table.
All tables should have a PK to uniquely identify the row where potentially no other unique key exists.

If you take for example
day 1 your item row has a stock level of 4
Entry in item_history itm1, stocklevel 4

Day 2 you change this and insert a row with the change (not sure if you insert after change or before)
e.g. item_history has a second row for itm1 with stocklevel of 2

Day 3 you then change the stocklevel again and insert another entry to item_history with itm1 and stocklevel 4

Now this is just an example, but if how would you uniquely identify this - i know you will likely have a date changed field or something similiar but its just for making a point.

Create your PK as an identity, and create a FK for items PK which it references.

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back