Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary domain controller failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2007
JO
In my network environment, I have three windows 2000 servers (one PDC and two BDC). My PDC died and I can’t boot it. I'd like to add a brand-new Server 2003 and make it the PDC. What is the easiest/most efficient way of doing this?
Why I can’t use NTBACUP of BDC and then make a new Fresh copy of PDC and restore the System State to the new PDC . it’s the easiest way but it didn’t work .
Any idea .

No such thing as PDC and BDC in 2003.

Seize the FSMO roles on one of the other DCs. Then, you can bring another machine online as a DC later.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Just to add to Pat's post, since you currently have a 2000 only domain, you will need to first run ADPREP /FORESTPREP and then ADPREP /DOMAINPREP to be able to make a 2003 server a DC in your existing domain.

And just to enforce what Pat has said, you really should get a better understanding of the roles the DCs play. It has been 7 years now since there has been a true PDC, that is sufficient time to learn the lingo.

Was your server that went down the only Global Catalog (GC) that you had? If so when you seize the FSMO roles you should also make another server a GC.

Lastly, you really will need to remove the dead server from the replication list in AD. Use the script at the end of my FAQ: to accomplish this task easily.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back