Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhoffman3

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2009
US
I am running windows XP Pro on all of my client machines and I have a domain controller setup that all of my clients log onto. We are using static IP addressing, should all of my client machines point to the DNS server as the Primary DNS or to the ISP DNS?

u want them to point to ur primary dns with ur intranet zone and set a forward lookup to ur isp dns for internet.

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Ok but we have 8 locations which all connect via VPN connection to our main location. They all have different internet service providers. And I want them to go out through there pipe for normal internet traffice but come through our pipe obviously for file and printer sharing. Could I use wins for file and printer sharing and point there clients to there IP's DNS?

set up secondary zones in the branches that do the intranet lookup and point the forwarder to the isp´s dns for internet lookup.

yes, u can use wins also, but do u want to maintain 2 databases?

how´s ur network setup, i.e. one ad integrated dns zone for the whole network or....

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

hopefully this answers your questions.

We have 8 locations that only have workstations in them. They connect via sonicwall box to box vpn connection into our main location. In our main location we have our domain controller.

All the clients are setup like the following example:
192.168.4.101 (Ip Address)
255.255.255.0 (Subnet Address)
192.168.4.1 (Gateway Address)

192.168.1.2 (Primary DNS **IP of domain controller)

Is there easier way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back