Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary and Secondary DNS not seeing each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

xevious2k

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
Hi All,

I have a Primary and Secondary Win2K DNS Server. When I open the DNS Snap in on DNS1 It gives me an "Access is Denied" message on DNS2. When I open the DNS Snap in on DNS2 It gives me an "Access is Denied" message on DNS1.

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? Both servers used to work fine and I could see DNS1 and DNS2 from the same server, and then all of the sudden, I can't.

Thanks,
X2K

How is communication between servers? Pingable? Able to browse them remotely?

Browsing and Pinging work fine.

The detail of the message is:

Access is Denied

You do not have permission to access this DNS server. Only members of the Local Administrators and System Operators groups have sufficient permissions. In addition, if the DNS server is running on a Domain Controller, then members of the Enterprise Administrators, Domain Administrators, and DNS Administrators groups have sufficient permissions.

To retry the connection, either press F5 or on the Action menu, click Refresh

X2K

BTW, I'm logged on as the administrator...

Yes, same issue, but I'm not using Active Directory, these are stand alone servers.

A first guess here would be that the passwords for the administrator accounts are not the same. If the passwords are the same on each machine then it should go ahead and pass your rights through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back