Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI Tie Trunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikeTours

Technical User
Dec 28, 2004
CA
I have been reviewing postings on using a PRI as a TIE trunk and after review I am still somewhat confused. Most of the examples were using a PRI to connect a Nortel system to another vendor like Cisco equipment.

The questions relate to setting up a PRI tie line on an option 81C

I would like to outline my understanding of the process and ask some questions.

1) In LD 73 you define who your reference clock will be. Typically it is going to be from a trunk facing a carrier.

2)In the ADAN for the D-channel there is a CLOK parameter with options EXT or INT. I am not exactly sure what these settings do particularly in reference to a Tie Line. On a Tie Line circuit one end of the circuit will clock and the other receives clock.

Questions:
a) I assume that the CLOK EXT setting has nothing to do with the fact that in LD 73 you accepted clocking from the carrier an external source. Is this correct?

b) From looking at other postings I am assuming that if you want the Nortel end of the circuit to clock the PRI the CLOK setting would be optioned EXT. The other side would have to be optioned to accept clocking from the Nortel end.

c)What happens if you want to connect two Nortel PBXs on a PRI tie Trunk, do you option one side to be CLOK EXT and the other CLOK INT?

The other question around using a TIE line facility is the ISDN protocol type. With ISDN one side of the connection has to be network and the other user side.

I have seen suggestions in the postings that if you option the nortel for network side you are then restricted in what ISDN protocol types you can use.

d) is this true or is it a case of - depends on what software releases you are running? There was some suggestions that if you option the Nortel for network side it is going to be protocol type SL1 - which is non standard.

e) Again I am assuming that the CLOK EXT option means that this Nortel side of the connection clocking the line. I have seen configurations in which the Nortel was set to CLOCK EXT yet for SIDE USR. Is there any restrictions on having the Nortel set to clock the line but operating as the user side?

From input output book: should clarify things

CLOK
Source of primary clock is either internal or external. pri-12 Prompted for ISL D-channels and ESDI synchronous
ports. Other D-channels are automatically set to EXT.

EXT
External Clocking.
When USR = ISLD, CLOK should be set to External.
Default for ISL D-channels is EXT.

INT
Internal Clocking.
INT is used only during D-channel loopback tests,
where one side is set to INT, the other is set to EXT.
Default for ESDI AML ports is INT.

Setting up a Tie line between 2 Meridian PBXs, Use IFC=SLI

depending then on rls of PBX will allow you to use many features across network including, Message lamps, network page, Name display, Call Park network wide, and if SIGO=ESN5, can send TGAR/NCOS across network also.

Clocking 1st choice (ld 73 - ddb) should be to a Telco provider. If remote pbx does not have T1 to telco then clock of Tie.

and be sure on a tie to any non pstn to set side to net or user.. the net side clocks intrenal and sends that clock to the far end.. the user side clocks that ckt via the far end and clocks it's switch via the ddb..

ld 73 tells the switch were to sync it's internal clock from. i point my pref to my ld, my sec to my locals.. we recnetly changed carriers on our ld. a week later i had slips in 10 of my pri's changing my primary to one of my local (pstn) trunks..

IF this is the 1st pri be sure to add ldn0, that has to be in place prior to did working.. and for your 1st pri in any switch ld 17 net, isdn yes is another default that has to be changed...

when you add the trunks (ld 14 new 23) half way through the trunk you will see b channel sig.. if that does not pop up before trunk id, your missing a prompt in the cdb.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

the 1st pri i installed was started at around 2am and also the 1st Sprint added to a nortel.. all those hints were learned via digging through manuals until daylight..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back