Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastalComm

Technical User
Jun 29, 2002
US
Customer recently moved there service to PRI from analog DID. Config of PRI is as follows:

Protocol:NI-2
BchanSeq:Descending
CO Fail:TIA547A
I/F Level:ISDN
Framing:ESF
Internal CSU:eek:n
CSU Line Build:0
Line Coding:B8ZS
Send Name Display:yes

This is the config that the CLEC tells me they have in the CO.

PRI comes up initially with all channels active. After a period of time 14 channels come up as FAR when I check the B channel status under Link. If I reboot the system all channels come back as active (idle). After a period of time 14 channels come up as FAR. I think that there is a protocol issue here, we are going today to change protocol to DMS 100 and see if we can stabilize this problem. The reason for the change in protocol is because the loop goes from customer premise to a Lucent 5ESS to a DMS100 then passed off to the CLEC which has a 5ESS. Not sure if this CO has any connection to this problem, but at least we're going to try the new config on protocol.

The problem that the customer is having is that when someone makes a call out they dial the number it shows in the display then drops out and the time and date is then displayed. It seems to be only on outgoing calls, to the best of our knowledge from the customer there aren't any problems on incoming calls.

Thanks for any input, and the saving of the remaining hair that I have on my head.

See if the helps.
PRI Can't Call out Link Status Shows Far

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sympton: When the customer trys to make a call in the morning they can not dial out on PRI. When Link Status is checked all B channels show Far. This means the channel has been disabled by the CO.

Fact: When this occurs in the Lucent #5ESS it usually this occurs at 2AM. Incomming calls will put the B channels back in service.
When this occurs in other COs check for a second PRI.

B and D Channel Auditing on DMS 100 and 5EES Telco Switch
The correct term is B Channel Service Messaging across the D channel. On a DMS100 Switch it is called BCH Service Messaging and it is on by default. On a 5E switch it is called B Channel Messaging and is off by default. They are designed for the Telco to test if their line is up and will crash all of our systems. It causes the PRI to busy out the line and show FAR as the channel status. The PRI must be bounced to bring the channel back up. This affects outbound channels, as an inbound call will bring the channel back up. So normally if this is the problem, the second half of the channels (14-23) show FAR as the channel status.
(One Telco said they fixed by looking in 5.2 view(one of their tools), field 3 is B-Channel Messaging. Change field 3 to Blank as the Default = Yes)
Telco said signal from card is low.

Cause: B channel messaging service is turned on in the Lucent #5ESS.
Or D channel is used for 2 PRI's. Norstar require a D channel for each PRI.

Fix: Have the PRI provider inhibit B channel messaging service under View 5.2 Field 3.
Have CO provide separate D channels for each PRI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M. Fogal 04/17/01

what software are you running in the MICS?

Hawks, the software is 5.0 I have some 6.1 on standby if needed.,

There were issues with 5.0 and the first RLS of of 6.1 the notes below are for the 2nd RLS of 6.1 and what it corrected.

Issues resolved in MICS 6.1 MR WI 6.05

· Not able to reply to PRI SETUP messages when connected to DMS10 using NI -2 protocol.
This issue was resolved by correcting the response to an incorrect IE in DISCONNECT and
RELEASE.

· Some sites running either T1 or PRI have reported a high number of network related issues causing dropped calls. Updates to PRI-T1 and NAT1 firmware were made to raise our alarm thresholds.

· Updated the protocol table entries for NI-2 to reflect current international standards.

Hope this helps

M. Fogal......I've had the CLEC inhibit the B channel servicing message. Do I need to reboot the system to see if that works? The reason I'm asking is i've gotten into the Norstar since this change was made, and see no change on the b channels.

Hawks,
We're going to try one more change tonight on the protocol, and that is to change it to DMS100. We did it last night and all the channels came up and looked fine. However, if the CO disabled a b channel we didn't see far on that channel in the norstar. I really don't wont to leave it this way, I would rather it work the way it was designed. I have at least a dozen or so Norstars with 5.0 working just fine with PRI, that's one reason why I'm hesitant about upgrading the software. I still think there is a conflict with the config between the norstar and the CO.

Thanks for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back