Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI over internet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmisclvlv

Vendor
Oct 4, 2022
US
I've always ordered the pris for the Avaya IP office with the local telephone company for example Cox and of course the service is very reliable because it's a pri..

The one problem is Cox for example will put in a partial PRI but nothing less than 12 channels.

Is there any type of a PRI over internet provider that anyone knows about or even if this technology is available that would allow partial PRI channels that would be able to easily connect into an Avaya IP office PRI card? Thanks

I want to know to. That is the next leg of my messing around. But, so far from what I can tell most of that stuff is being retired or already converted at one level. With
that said. I know the large telco's started doing t1 - office to fiber to office to - t1. Even that was changed into things like HDSL on the smart jack. Once again all
going away. Except for areas that internet sucks and T1 lines still rock solid and no other choice.

My end project is I have another person who loves Nortel systems and I love Avaya systems. So I'm sure using t1 pri to sip or h232 or whatever codec via XX number of channels over the net probably via VPN.

Anyway now I'm getting away from the whole good question.

Thanks,

Josh

Just because you only have the base 8-channel licenses on the PRI doesn't mean that you can't enable all 23 channels. Just change the Channel Allocation to 1 -> 23 so your outgoing calls go out starting at the 1st channel. When you have 8 simultaneous calls on the PRI, the user attempting to make an outgoing call will get "Waiting for Line" and an incoming caller will get a busy signal.

Yes I have reduced the channels for a partial 12 channel PRI. But Cox does not offer an 8 channel.

Where I am the PRI/T1 is still widely used on hospitality legacy and even newer sites.

My experience with anything VOIP has been nothing but complaints about QOS. Issues I never have with good old reliable analog and PRIs.

ADTRAN does have a SIP to PRI converter

If you don't mind. On a side note. What kind of QOS problems. This is a onsite ip office system so I would expect the phones to be fine. That you are talking about issues
with the trunk lines? Then again it depends on your setup. I don't do phones except as a hobby. Saying that though I have only seen a few problems.

1. Cloud to phones only (QOS or ISP issues.)
2. Cloud To pbx (ISP Issues)
3. sip to ata to ATm4 ports to system on site. (ISP Issues with or without being bundled.)

On a side note. This can effect all is I can't believe how many routers have problems still with voip and voip suppliers.
Then I find it interesting that the local cable company uses 2 modems for business users. 1 for internet and 1 for voip with built in ata (fxs ports)
I only ever had a few experiences with switches. Most was due to people who didn't know how to set them up and what was sad. The company was so small. They
didn't even need anything fancy like QOS on the switches.

I have a few more odd stories and I still hate VOIP. Mostly due to Sales people pushing it to place that don't have good internet or equipment. Plus the very strange issue.

Thanks,

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back