Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI international restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldondon

Programmer
Sep 19, 2013
US
Hello, I have a request to open up international dialing in Canada for a single DN. This is a Nortel MICS 7.0 with a PRI and about 30 handsets with many in public areas. The international has always been restricted both thru the MICS and the telco PRI.

They want to be able to call numbers in Canada but I am concerned that because on a ( 1 ) has to be used there is going to be toll abuse through out the building because I am unable to restrict the rest of the users from using a ( 1 ) when dialing within the US.

Normally if this were POTS lines I would just set up a ROUTE and DEST and only allow certain DN's to use this ROUTE or I would use a COS password.

What is the best safest way to restrict all the rest of the users on the PRI but allow a single user to call international.

Thank you!

put your restriction on all of the outbound PRI ports Lines 001-023 and use a COS to override

Or restrict the all sets except the one from dialing LD.

Marv ccna
Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx
Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

I agree with allworxguy.

When a Restriction Filter is applied to a set, the system doesn't care whether you have a PRI trunk, POTS or both at the same time: the filter applies to all calls made from that set, no matter the line.

So, in your case, I would create a restriction that prevents numbers that begin with 0 or 1 from being dialled. (You will probably need to add some overrides that allow toll-free numbers to be dialled: 1-800, 1-822, 1-833, 1-844, 1-855, 1-866, 1-877 and 1-888.) I would assign the filter to all the sets, except the one that needs to make international calls.

You can also create a COS Password that will allow the user to make international calls using any other set. In other words, the COS Password will replace the restriction applied to the set, but only for the duration of the call.

If you want to create such a COS Password, make sure to use Filter 00 as the User Filter. The user will simply have to press Feature 68, dial his COS Password, and make his call.

The only problem I am going to run into is the calls to Canada and any other place that uses our area code format. Most of the calls are going to go to canada. I need to be able to allow the rest of the users to dial 1 and area code any time they want which they do all day long. How would I prevent them from calling Canada, Mexico, etc. they all use 1+xxx? If I restrict them from 1+xxx then they can not call within in the US.

Thanks.

Ok dumb questions.

What's the difference between LD in the USA or LD to Canada or Mexico?

Otherwise you are going to have to make a restriction with exceptions 1-NAA is a North American standard dial plan.

Marv ccna
Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx
Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Add these area codes as exceptions along with the 800 #'s

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I don't know how that thread got in my post.

Anyway I am still wondering how to do this if there is even a way. I have to release the Telco PRI intl calling restrictions which then makes it wide open for anything1+ dialing. I known I can restrict 011 but 1 is needed to call within the US

Per already mentioned 3 times now, you need to build your filters, add restrictions and/or exceptions and COS passwords as needed.

Here is 2 examples where one filter restricts LD but allows Canada and another that restricts all countries using 1 except USA.
Can all be programmed within a 1 hour service call.

Filter 10:
If you want to restrict long distance in NA (where only 1 in front of area code is required)and oversea calling but allow calls to Canada
You restrict 0,1,011
You add exceptions 18XX's (toll free's), 1416, 1905 etc etc (all Canada area codes)
This filter when assigned to a set cannot call anywhere but local, 18XXX and Canada

Filter 11:
If you want to restrict long distance in NA (where only 1 in front of area code is required) and oversea calling but allow only US long distance calls
Do which ever of the 2 has less area codes combined to save on programming time:
You restrict 0,011 and ALL area codes that are in Country code 1 such as Canada, Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Trinidad/Tobago etc
Or
Restrict 0,011 and add Exceptions of all US area codes 1XXX
This filter when assigned to a set cannot call anywhere except local, and US

Other restrictions to think about and/or add:
* - To prevent by bypassing restrictions on POTS/COPPER lines
0 - to prevent by bypassing restrictions and having the operator dial for you
01 - To call oversea
411 - To prevent charges for directory assistance
10 - To prevent use of 1010 type numbers
900 - To prevent charges for services
976 - To prevent a divorce

Other methods:
-Use a carrier for LD calls with pass codes for each user so when a an LD call is made you know exactly who made the call.
-Use System Speed Dials for frequently dialed numbers and tell it to bypass restrictions (and/or use non restricted filter)

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Although I've read and wrote "international calls", I had in mind "long distance calls". I'm sorry about that. Anyway, Restriction Filters are still the way to go. You will only need to build more sophisticated filters.

So, I understand that you want to allow calls to Canada and the US for everyone. But, you want to prevent calls to the other countries that are included in the NANP. You also want to prevent calls to countries outside the NANP (Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania as well as Central and South Americas).

As it was already suggested, you can create overrides for all the area codes in the Canada and the US. There are hundreds of these area codes. However, there is a maximum of 400 overrides allowed on the system. That is not enough.

Instead, it will be easier to create restrictions for all the area codes outside the Canada and the US. There are only a few dozens of these area codes. It will also make your filters easier to understand and to maintain.

You can find an up-to-date list of area codes on the NANPA website. Here is the list of area codes that I think you will want to block:
[ul]
[li]1-242[/li]
[li]1-246[/li]
[li]1-264[/li]
[li]1-268[/li]
[li]1-284[/li]
[li]1-340[/li]
[li]1-345[/li]
[li]1-441[/li]
[li]1-473[/li]
[li]1-649[/li]
[li]1-664[/li]
[li]1-670[/li]
[li]1-671[/li]
[li]1-684[/li]
[li]1-721[/li]
[li]1-758[/li]
[li]1-767[/li]
[li]1-784[/li]
[li]1-787[/li]
[li]1-809[/li]
[li]1-829[/li]
[li]1-849[/li]
[li]1-868[/li]
[li]1-869[/li]
[li]1-876[/li]
[li]1-939[/li]
[/ul]

As you can see, it is much more manageable.

Finally, you will need two more restrictions for countries outside the NANPA:
[ul]
[li]00[/li]
[li]01[/li]
[/ul]

curlycord's other suggestions should be considered, too. You can create another filter just for them and apply it to the lines (instead of the sets). That way, the line filter will be enforced even when a COS Password overrides the set filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back