Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI Card 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

britten

Programmer
Oct 21, 2004
CA
I am working on my first PRI card install. I have only done NSUs up till now. I always did the LAN connection to program using IMAT, but for the PRI card I cant connect because the card is a referb and I am afraid the ip address isnt 192.168.1.1 or that the PRI card doesnt support the LAN connection all together. This wouldnt be a problem if I could connect using a direct connection, but I cant even do that because the "gateway" file you use to configure my modem is not excepted by my PC as a valid .inf file. I dont know what to do. Has anybody programmed a PRI card that give some ideas?? Thanks a million!

Britten,

If I remember rightly - it's been a while since I done a PRI install - the PRI card u have has an old level of software. The only way to connect is by the serial port and the .inf file only works if you have Windows 95/98 or NT4. This is because it uses the dial up sripting tool which is not support or works in Win 2000 or XP.

My best advice is to find a machine that has 95/98 or NT4.

Peva

Britten, in your post you are saying that the gateway.inf is invalid. for the PRI card you should be using the the other inf file in the mitel folder. In IMAT there is detailed help on setting up the connection for a PRI Card. Make sure that you follow that instead of the PRI Gateway connection. You will also need to pull the database off the card and change it instaed of creating a new one from scratch. The reson for this is that you are currently using a newer release of IMAT because it supports ethernet. If you are using 2000 or XP I have a way of getting imat to work with a serial connection.

I have an Win 2k laptop and I have a new customer with a PRI card. I can back up the PBX but I would like to back up the IMAT Database and I am afraid I do not have the same version of IMAT that was used to originally program the card.

So, how can I connect with Win 2k?

Can I use a different version of IMAT to connect to the card, download the configuration?... and alter the configuration if necessary?

jsaad,
you can use a newer version of IMAT to backup and change an older database, (unless it is from an older gateway.) you just can't create a database for an older card with a newer version of IMAT.

If you have Win 2K you should try creating the dialup connection as per the instructions in the help of IMAT, but if that doesn't work you can do the following:

How to connect to a PRI with WinXP and Win2K.

There is a limitation to using this type of connection and it can be a bit cumbersome, but it beats packing an older laptop around. You will be able to modify, backup and upload databases to PRI Cards using this method. You need to have a version of IMAT that supports an ethernet connection, version 7.1.0.3 or higher I believe. Follow the instructions in IMAT to create the serial cable modem and set it at the required baud rate settings as per IMAT docs.

Then (I am using examples from XP, but Win2K is quite similar) create a new network connection using the new connection wizard. Select the connection on connecting directly with another computer. Your laptop will be the guest in the connection, Enter a name and for the modem select the communication cable between 2 computers. Finish the connection and it will bring up the username/password box. select properties and on the general tab click configure. Set the baud rate to 38400 and check the show terminal window box. Click on the networking tab and deselect all protocols except TCP/IP. Click OK.

Connect your serial cable to the PRI Card. Open the connection that you just made. odn't worry about the username and password, they aren't necessary. When you click connect a window will pop up. Make it active and enter in all caps CLIENTSERVER and click continue. The connection will establish. Now open IMAT. select the connect to site and use the connect over ethernet option. for the address enter 10.10.10.1. IMAT will connect and then you can work with the database as normal.

The biggest drawback to this method is working with older databases as sometimes I have had to install older version of IMAT becuse of upgrades and differences in PRI loads on the 200, 200icp and 3300/2k. I may be abit more work but it is reliable and I don't need to dual boot or pack an additional laptop around.

I hope this gets you far enough, I have to do up a proper document on this on of these days.

Simon

One *REALLY* important detail here, IMAT doesn't work over a serial connection on a Win2K machine that has SP4 installed. Has to do with a security hole that SP4 fixed and the Dial-Up Networking that IMAT uses to connect over the serial port. The only workaround that I know of is to un-install SP4. Other than that as long as you follow the instructions in the IMAT help file for setting up the PC, you should be able to get it to work.

The Ethernet ports on the PRI cards don't work until the Release 8 software, IIRC.

how convenient, I have win 2k, SP 4.

when you say the ethernet ports won't work unless you have Release 8 s/w. I assume you mean the software that is on the card, not on the computer?

Yes, I mean on the PRI card in the PBX. I'm not 100% sure on what release it's activated in, but I know it does not work on most PRI R6 loads.

Also, to clarify on the Win2K issue, the Tech. Bulletin from Mitel says they tested this problem on a desktop and a laptop. IMAT worked on the Desktop, but not on the Laptop. What I DO know is that the issue manifests itself as an Internal Software Error message when you try to establish a serial connection with IMAT.

You need to assign the IP address of the Ethernet port of your PC to the same subnet as the PRI card. The default settings for the PRI card is an IP address of 192.168.1.1, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0; so in this case I usually set up my PC as 192.168.1.220. Then you fire up IMAT, and select the ethernet connection and enter the IP address of the card.

I've seen occasions on older PRI cards where the subnet mask has not been set, in this case you need to go into VxWorks and change the boot parameters of the card. To do this you need to open a VT100 terminal session to the serial port (38400 baud, 8-N-1); reboot the card, then interrupt the boot when prompted to do so. I don't remember which options display and edit the boot params, but if you type "help" it will tell you. The subnet mask needs to be entered in hex, so for the default settings, the IP address line looks like "192.168.1.1:ffffff00".

thanks, i really prefer using a T1 card and if it's a PRI use an Adtran Atlas 550 to convert PRI to T1. Works well, far easier to work with than the PRI card.

jsaad, I think it is a matter of what you're familiar with. I would rather work with a plain simple PRI than use an adtran to convert to T1. Sounds complicated!

Anytime I've seen an Atlas 550 in place to do the PRI/T1 conversion, I've wound up replacing it and adding a PRI card or NSU. While most Adtran stuff is decent, those boxes are garbage, I don't think they even make them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back