Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Previous YTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgao

Programmer
Feb 25, 2003
NG
Hi all

I am trying to perform Pervious Year To Date Total (which is like YTD but for the previous year. ie. ytd would work for this year's jan -> whatever month. But I need a total from Last year from jan -> whatever year to do comparision), However I've ran into the following issues.

Since Year is a variable and it can change depending on which year you select. I tried to Return the first member of the month which in theory should be January of a Year. However when I performed the below query I got Dec which was the overall period through out the entire Month this include 2002 dec -> 2005 May period so the head returned Dec.

SELECT { head(Descendants(
[Period].CurrentMember,
[Month]),1)} ON COLUMNS , { [BrandModel].[All BrandModel] } ON ROWS FROM [Running Report] WHERE ( [Measures].[Unit] )

So then I tried to return the Head of the Set of the current year using the below query. But no matter what I do I can not get it working.

SELECT { head(Descendants(
{[Period].CurrentMember, [Period].[Month]},
[Month]),1)} ON COLUMNS , { [BrandModel].[All BrandModel] } ON ROWS FROM [Running Report] WHERE ( [Measures].[Unit] )

How would you guys usually do a previous year to date comparision ? since year is a variable

Thanks
Tom

Tom:

Play around with DateAdd and Convert,

Try something like :
Code:
DECLARE @charYTDStart char(8)
DECLARE @charYTDEnd char(8)

SELECT @charYTDStart = LEFT(CONVERT(char(8),DATEADD(Year,-1,GETDATE()),112),4) + '0101'
SELECT @charYTDEnd = CONVERT(char(8),DATEADD(Year,-1,GETDATE()),112)

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost 1874-1963

Use ParallelPeriod. e.g.

Sum(YTD(ParallelPeriod(Year,1,Time.CurrentMember),[Measures].[MeasureName]))

'Year' is the variable we are concerned with, '1' is the offset i.e. last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back