Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Windows Explorer from going 'not responding'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
AU
When Windows Explorer opens the THIS PC screen in x32Win10ProV20H2, very often it does not fully populate. The right pane may be empty, or lack only the entry for the system drive – correspondingly the left (Navigation) pane will lack the entry for the system drive. After a while 'not responding' appears in the title bar. This happens only in the THIS PC screen of Windows Explorer, so I can get access to destinations I want, by avoiding THIS PC and using the navigation panel of other Windows Explorer screens. In the Save As window of video processing programs, the system drive is often missing from THIS PC. I'm looking for a SPECIFIC remedy for the problem – general procedures like scannow, DISM, scandisk etc have failed to fix it.

Try turning off thumbnail previews.

A corrupted file that it is trying to show a thumbnail, it will make explorer go non-responsive.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

It turns out that the problem was caused by having a phone connected to the PC - I had misunderstood the need for that to be able to text from my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back