Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Program From Spawning in other Workspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkus

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
CA
I run a number of applications which take a while to display a window on the screen. The problem with this is that I will start up an application in one workspace, and then change to another workspace while the application is starting up. While I am typing in the second workspace, my new application will suddenly start up in that workspace and I end up typing in the wrong application.

Is there a way to ensure that applications stay in the workspace from which they are started, to avoid this problem?

I am running CDE 1.4.8,X11 Version 6.4.1, SunOS R 5.8

Thanks,
Jeff

Are you running your application in a console window? If so, try running the application in a terminal (dtterm). Leave the console window for message captures only.

No, the application runs in its own set of windows. I start it from the workspace menu.

Jeff

yes this is known dt bug.

restart cde, start your appl and wait until it's
displayed, change workspace and start the oder appl
and wait until.

when all appl are up in the proper ws
start dtstyle, in startup, set the home session,
this take a while and set 'return to home session'
then
vi ~/.dt/sessions/home/dt.session

NOTA: this is ONE liner

dtsmcmd -hints "-geometry 900x527+232+364 -state IconicState
-workspaces ws1 -cmd \"appl startup cmd\""
-screen 0 -cmd "appl startup cmd"

Two questions:

1. I understand "workspaces ws1" tells it what workspace to occupy, but what does "screen 0" mean?

2. Will this only deal with applications that start upon logging in? Is there a way (maybe like something in .Xdefaults) to deal with any application, no matter what point in the session it is started?

Thanks,
Jeff

workspace is one of the ws you defined in frontpanel
screen 0 is the physical monitor, you can start cde
to display on differtent.
the rest is cde undocumented internal .....
even if cde has tons of docs, yuo will never
find what you need.
just try to start by hand the cmd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back