Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing postings in unreadable characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

domino3

MIS
May 20, 2003
GB
Is there any way of preventing posts to a discuusion boards in unreadable characters? I am finding very long postings on the board I manage which I then have to remove as I am unable to check what they say.

This is happening on a more and more regular basis.

If you make the font a Unicode font like "MS Arial Unicode" then you can see everything that is written in whatever language it is written in.

Thanks for the reply, but the problem has now moved on.

The bulletin board keeps getting postings of masses of hyperlinks (in readable font). They appear under perfectly acceptable headings, but are then meaningless when opened.

Although I check the entries on a regular basis, it is rapidly getting to a point where I am going to have more deleted comments than actual comments.

Is there any way of blocking this type of entry, as it makes the whole bulletin board pointless when they are appearing in larger and larger numbers every day?

Thank you.

You might try making one of the fields required, if you haven't already done so. You might also try a specific input field.

Code:
<p>Enter taehc in the following text box&nbsp; <!--webbot bot="Validation"
B-Value-Required="TRUE" I-Minimum-Length="5" I-Maximum-Length="5"
S-Validation-Constraint="Equal to" S-Validation-Value="taehc" --><input type="text" size="20" name="validation_field" maxlength="5"></p>

Might slow down the unwanted posts a little.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal Smith

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me why making a field required would help? And would it matter what field I made required?

I only have two fields, title and comment. Would I need to add any more?

Having a single required field can deter multiple submissions.

Personally I would use a gif with a text similar to the one in the code and then a simple notice to type what they see on the gif in the textbox. Just make sure they match the validation request.

Micheal Smith

As I am still having problems with the unwanted postings, I am now thinking of changing from the frontpage bb to a bb on some other software, where users have to log in with a password to be able to make a comment.

Can anyone recommend bb software which would be compatible with frontpage and would run on access 97? And which isn't complicated to run? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

I'm still trying to solve this problem, which stopped for a few months but has now restarted.

I've been told that it should be possible for me to check my log files to find the isp address of the person putting on the unwanted postings, and then I should be able to block him.

However, I can't find any way to access the log files on my website.

Is it possible to do so in frontpage?

You may need to ask your host to check the log for you.

Q Have you started using validation?

and

Q Did you try a validation gif?

Of course these aren't fool proof, but they slow down manual spammers.

As to alternatives, there are some good ones out there:

(Free)

You could always search for ffree discussion software and might find some freebies and co branded.

Micheal Smith

I have now tried a validation field, which I got from the link on and it is working fine. However, I would like to know how to go about changing the webbot to be able to put in a different set of letters in the validation field if it becomes necessary.

You don't change the webbots, just the validation required for the field.

Simply double click the field, click Validate and change it there. Just make sure the input requested of the user is the same as that required for the validation. Same case etc.

Micheal Smith

The validation field doesn't seem to have helped, as I am still getting spam posted to the bb. I have now put in a field to show the user name/address from which the posting is coming. Is there any way in frontpage of using this to stop more postings from the same address?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. How would I use a url on the post page?

You would give us the URL for you Discussion Web so we can have a look. The post page is the form page.

Micheal Smith

HI there. I'm still having problems with spam postings, but am reluctant to post the url here in case it causes me even more problems.

I was wondering if there was any way of automatically updating/changing the validation code required in the validation field? I've tried changing it manually a couple of times, but within a day or two the spam postings are back again.

I am sure someone will come up with a source. You can do this with scripting, but I have never used this method. I believe there are some free options.

Micheal Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back