Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Outbound Automated Mail from being Flagged Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2008
US
Hello,

I would like to know what steps might I take to prevent automated outbound mail from being flagged spam or bulk. We have a client that wants to send us lists of emails that are of customers that we are shipping items to. Pretty much an email to let them know that their box is on the way. My concern is that if we ship out 500+ a day or so, could this be seen as spam? I've heard that possibly an SSL or some kind of certificate could be used to authenticate our email as being valid. Can anyone shed some insight on this please?

Thanks

SSL isn't going to apply to this.

Outbound bulk email is not spam if they're a customer. UCE (spam) is unsolicited. Shipping notifications should be considered unsolicited.

Verify you're playing by all the rules.
1. Hostname presented by your Exchange server matches what's in your MX for your domain (say, mail.domain.com)
2. Make sure your PTR record matches the MX record
3. Publish your SPF records
4. Make sure you have a Postmaster address
5. Make sure you're not blacklisted

Some things might make this hard, such as if you're using some cloud based hygiene service, which would require different MX records.

Now - you could still become blacklisted if enough people mark their shipping notifications as spam. That's only because they're idiots.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back