Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing object locks - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roswald

Programmer
Jul 6, 2002
US
All our SQL Server 2000 users are in a Read-Only group named Readers. Is there a command that will prevent any user in that group (Readers), from being granted any Lock on any Object between 3pm and 4pm?
I need to accomplish the following;
1. Any users that are active when my script is launched are prevented from being granted a lock once any locks they may already have on an object is freed.
2. Anyone that logs onto the system between 3pm and 4pm is prevented from being granted any locks.
3. At 4pm all is set back to normal.
At first I wanted to use Net Send to warn active users, kick them off and prevent anyone from logging in for that time period. My problem was that IT will not permit us to use Net Send because we would need to turn on the Messenger service for that to happen.

Please lend me your expertise.
Thanks for your help!

b

You can set the database to not allow people into the database by setting it into restricted mode.

You could also kill all the users, then remove the group from the database, do your loading (or what ever needs to be done), then add the group back in.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back