Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preventing multiple users from using app concurrently

Status
Not open for further replies.

sktodd2

Programmer
Jan 10, 2011
US
I have an application that opens a new window using an IP address as the link for viewing a camera. The window closes after a timeout of 15 minutes. How do I prevent a second user from accessing the camera while user one is still viewing the camera image?

Not with Javascript as there's no way for Js to know if the camera has been accessed on the server.

You'd need to set a flag in your server programming that your camera code can read. If its on then the user cannot access the camera.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Please give me an example of what you mean by "set a flag in your server programming that your camera code can read". Unfortunately I am a newbie to Javascript programming. Thanks.

I can't give you an example, because I don't know how your camera works off the server.

I doubt JS has anything to do with its control or access other than providing a form.

You should know how your page is accessing the camera, and how your server is providing such access, from that you should be able to determine how to set a usage flag that can be set or read each time the camera is accessed.

But I can't get any more specific than that as I have no idea what internal workings are making the camera access possible.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back