Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Mesgs to terrminals when Canceling Print Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2000
US
I have jobs that get backed in queue almost daily. The cause is user error but I still need to clear out the jobs. My problem is users on floor are all logged in the same account. When I cancel jobs, message fill the user's screens, disrupting the users as they deal with customers. My question is; How do cancel jobs without send messages to the user terminals. I was thinking I could redirect to /dev/null but am unable to try without affecting the users. Any ideas?

I haven't found a way to prevent it notifying (and emailing) the users about cancelled print requests under Solaris; redirecting the output of the cancel command doesn't help because it's the lp subsystem that actually sends the notification. One option may be to try using the lprm command if it's available, but I think it does the same. Annihilannic.

Hi,
Are you cancelling the request while logged in as root? If not try it.

Sure it doesn't use syslog??
Look at your syslog.conf file, maybe there's an lp like entry (daemon).

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back