Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing duplicate entries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mow

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
Hi,
I'm using ACT! 2000 and I would like to set it up so that whenever a new contact is entered, it alerts the user of duplicates (if they exist).
Does anybody have an idea how to do that? I'd love to learn about it.
Thanks.
-mow

ACT! does this to a limited degree already, you need to set it up according to what fields are likely to be duplicated and you are limited to three selections.

Go to EDIT, DEFINE FIELDS and choose the ADVANCED tab. You will see choices that ACT! looks at to gauge dupes. Just arrange them in the order that you wish to prioritize.

You won't know that there is a dupe match until you have the data entered, because ACT! automatically saves the data as you move off the record. I always taught users to do a quick search or two on Company or Contact before entering new data to see if it existed already, its faster than entering all the info only to find out its a dupe.

HTH

swk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back