Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing a 'Guest' user from accessing your drive/folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krizalid99v2

Technical User
Sep 8, 2005
I'm running Windows XP with latest updates.

Running a stand-alone machine (no network), and I have several user accounts/profiles, including a 'Guest' account. I have one hard drive, which is partitioned into 2 logical drives, C: and D:, C: is obviously the Windows files drive, and D: has my personal stuff in it.

When someone signs into the 'Guest' account, the person is unable to access any of the folders in the C: drive. BUT the person is able to access the folders and files on the D: drive. So what I want to do is to prevent the 'Guest' account user from accessing the D: drive and it's folders as well.

I've tried right-clicking on the D:, selecting Properties, selecting the 'Shared' tab, but the 'Make this folder private' option is always blanked out and un-checkable. And I've also tried going into the 'User Accounts' section, but it seems there's no option that allows you to prevent the 'Guest' user from accessing specific drives or folders.

Can anyone help on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

You will not be able to select the 'Make this folder private' option on folders that are not located in your user profile. You will need to have each user go through and select this option themselves on their folders. You would also not be able to select this option if the drive is not formatted as NTFS.

- You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option

- How to make files and folders private in Windows XP so that only you have access to them

If you are using Windows XP Pro, you may want to disable Simple File Sharing and use NTFS permissions to control access to files and folders.

- To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Hi

Another option is to use an application like "Magic Folders".

I have used it for years to keep financial data, credit card numbers and personal information invisible on my computer.

It works great and is totally reliable. It will make folders on any of your drives visible or invisible instantly and is password protected.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back