Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Users from moving folders??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergiok

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I've been searching for the answer to this question for a while. Probably spent more than 8 hours searching and searching. I've probably spent even more time experimenting with my W2k Server.

Here's the deal:

I have a share called ROOT. Inside that share are various subfolders (numerically named) 1,2,3, etc...

Server \\ Share \ folder within the share
----> ROOT ----> 1
----> 2
----> 3

I'd like to give users full rights inside each numbered subfolder, but not allow them to move or delete the subfolders inside the share ROOT. I'd like to prevent what sometimes happens: some user will inadvertently move folder 2 inside folder 3 or something like to that effect.

How do I restrict user's ability to move and delete folders 1, 2, 3 and so on but then give them full rights once they are inside those folders?

Thank you!

Sergiok,

Ya know I dont think you can restrict the users ability to move or delete a folder once you give them full control to a folder.
Why do they need it though?Is for file editing, etc...? If they dont or should not be moving the file then maybe removing the Full Control is the first step in your solution,and using read and write permissions instead.
However, If they really need to have this full control privalage then they are gonna have to have the resposibility that comes with it,because at that point the only real control you will have is by keeping backups ready in case something happens,then you will be busy most of the time restoring files.
I would be very reluctant to give these kind of permissions to any average user.
Another thing,When you go into the securities tab of a folder or file and it shows the permissions avalible there should be an Advanced tab at the bottom that take you to a page with more defineable rights for 'fine tweaking'.
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back